Sports Sedan

Page 3 of 3
ted neon wrote:

S4 - not sporty enough. I'd suggest an older mint condition used S70R. 540i - get a M3 instead. No brainer. A6 - *try* to get any work on the engine without removing it. This killed it on my list. The E430 - too pricey.
Want real sporty? The IS300 and M3 are pretty much it. Inline 6, RWD, and manual(real with a clutch and linkage - no computers) transmission.

You must be first one to say S4 is not sporty. In my eyes, S70 is a family car with some muscles, but S4 beats it back-and-forth with standard four wheel drive and plenty of horse power. Some say it is even faster than M3.
BR:Z
Zon wrote:

As for "family sedan", you do know that the S70 is a 850 with new sheetmetal? I'd put a 850 R against most of these pretenders anyday.
Ha, if you want plenty of room, and near sports car handling, go buy a Porsche Cayenne S, or better yet the Cayenne Turbo.... 0-60 in 5.6 seconds, even though it weighs 5000 lbs.
Randy
Randy S. writes:

I drove the Turbo for about an hour last October before I bought my RS6. It's a great SUV with plenty of performance. A bit pricey, however. d;o) Dave
http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html

Dude, if you look at the cars this guy is considering, both the IS300 and M3 are probably too small for him. Then again, the S4 isn't much bigger. If you want a *sporty* car, and will probably blow the doors off of most if not all the cars mentioned, take a look at the Subaru WRX at about $25K or for even more performance, the Subaru WRX STI which starts at about $30k....
bfd wrote:

Well, if we're open to suggesting other cars, the WRX is definately near the top of the list. They barely modify them and go out and well - watch Speed Channel sometime. Rally racing is nothing short of insanity. 100mph+ down little fire roads.
Other than that, he'd probably have the look for exotics or something used. I just figured he was looking for something also useable as a typical family sedan, which makes it harder.
It depends upon his budget.

You reccomend an M3 and an S70R over the S4? Are you serious? And you don't think the S4 is sporty? The S70R is a nice car, but Volvo wants to much money for it. The S4 carries about the same price, has better performance and a nicer interior. Not to mention the fact that the outgoing C70 and the current S80 have had numerous reliability problems, Volvo isn't the company they used to be. The S4 is a better buy than the M3, hands down. It loses (by .02) to 60 MPH from a dead stop, but it has a better interior (especially the front seats), more amneities, rear doors, AWD and better track performance, period.

The A6 is a great car. But the new 2.7T S-Line isn't cheap and the 3.0 isn't avaliable with a much needed manual tranny. If you're really interested, wait till the new ones are out.

Not really very "sporty" either. The 5 series and the A6 2.7T S-Line both have it beat for sporty driving. It is the most "prestigious" though.

The IS300 has great handling but a very cramped interior, a slight lack of low-end torque and a much slower 0-60 time. An A4 3.0 Quattro with the 6-speed will pull of 0-60 in 6.6 once it's been broken in, and you get AWD to boot.

This is a pretty funny thread... But just wanted to add to the comments on S4- not sporty enough... Thats just silly! If we are talking about the new one.. Um. NO. If we are talking about the 2000-2002 model.. Um. NO. Best thing about the turbo ones, is cheap and easy to modify. Loads of performance in there....
Cheers,
Adam

They are not nearly as long, which is quite distressing. Nor could they be mistaken for a Hudson at a distance, which might spoil your plans to attend a classic car meet. I also find that they do not measure up on the critical "mouse-fur-seat" scale. To add insult to injury, the makers of these so-called competing vehicles often thrust a "console" between one and one's bitch, making the successful acquisition of in- flight oral gratification difficult at best and painful at worst.

Sir, you will search in vain for a foreign company, run by those stinking Jerries, which can match the reliability, interior quality, and deft handling of a mid-Nineties uprated Caprice. For proof of this, I invite you to visit New York City and see which one of those nancy-boy foreign cars, if any, is doing taxicab duty. While the "E" does taxi duty overseas, I suspect Europeans rarely vomit in their cabs, as they typically visit a so-called "vomitorium" immediately after consuming vast quantities of grapes and young boys, as seen in the recent infomercial "I, Claudius".
ted neon wrote:

Uh, dude - April Fool's Day was over a while ago.
-- Mike Smith
Matched Chevy's quality? That would be a giant leap backwards for most, if not all, of the models you listed.

chevy...for a bargin price you can get an old school impala SS with the corvette engine. it will last you 300k, never break and blow the doors off the euro cars listed. i have one and its much better than the bmw 540i my coworker has, smoother, more torque and will throw you back into your seat like the space shuttle. i owned a mercedes e320 shortly and i was dissopointed in the performance and quality, i'll go with the impala ss anyday over that...its a real drivers car.
Don't feed the trolls. Please.

Have you done any furthur comparison? I'm now wondering if this person is also "Tha Gee".

Whaaaaaaaaat?? Ha! The Impala SS of the early and mid 1990s couldn't break 7.5 seconds to 60 mph! A 1.8T Quattro A4 with the 5-speed could or at least could very nearly match the Impala's 0-60 numbers and blow it away around a track!

Look, I've got a bunch of funky cars on my list of favorites, and I'm all for sleeper effect. But there's honestly something wrong if you really like the Impala as an overall car more than a 540i. Is there such thing as an aotomotive therapist? You must have had a bad childhood experience with a BMW...

Well, yea. The E is/was a heavy car and much like the 525, is really only there so people who can't afford the V8 can still get a mid-size car with the prestigious brand name glued on. Hell Audi makes a 1.8T version of the A6 for Europe, nice car - shitty performance. If you'd ever driven an E430 (or the new E500) of the E55 you'd know it'll crush an Impala.

Are you serious? The Impala is a "real driver's car" but a 540i isn't? Houston, we have a problem....