Squeaky/chirpy (interior) fan - how to fix?

I have a '98 A6 QW and a '97 A4 Q2.8 that are both showing similar symptoms with the interior fan...sounds like a squeaking/chirping noise coming from the center fan from time to time.
In the A6, it often shows up immediately after going over a bump, then dies down again after a few seconds, but sometimes just starts without any noticeable incident.
Local shop thought it could only be fixed with a new fan, $400-ish plus installation/labor/labour! Is there something else that can be done to reduce/eliminate the noise? Can be very annoying if it lasts for very long... thanks for all ideas!
Bart

On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 11:47:06 -0600, against all advice, something

Can you get to the fan? I'm thinking a little squirt of WD40 would do the trick.
--

Life is too short to play cheap guitars.

Steve Daniels wrote:

I haven't tried to get at it yet myself - not terribly handy at such things, but willing to give easy things a try! I believe I can get the vent covers off (!), but not sure how far the actual fan is from the center vents. Anyone know?
I like the WD-40 idea, just not sure how to deliver the payload! :D
Thanks for the quick response.
Bart

Bart Oleksy wrote:

I think it is accessible from under the plastic cover that is just in front of the windshield (under the hood).
Turn the fan on and you will know where it is
Access top the bearings is probably covered but you could drill a small hole in the center of the end of the motor, WD40 and then cover with tape of silicone seal.

Per the Bentley CD, A4 1996 and up access to blower is via the glove box (the door and innards of which need to be removed first). It looks trivial to do.
/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

Won't the interior of the car then smell of WD-40 until it all evaporates?

I had the same problem with my 2000 A6. Access the fan through the glove box and remove fan, clean it up and use an appliance oil (will last longer than WD-40). I did that a year ago and I am just starting to hear a squeak every once in a while at low fan speed. The appliance oil has a long tube (spout) so you are able to lube at the fan area with out getting it all over everything else.
Brian
batman wrote:

Sounds good to me! Will give that a try, or have the shop do it next time. Much appreciated...
Will that also work on my B5 ('97) A4 2.8Q? I mean, accessing the fan through the glove box?
Bart

That's the *only* way you're going to access that fan...
/daytripper '00 s4 6spd
daytripper wrote:

Ah, thanks!
Bart

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 23:57:44 -0700, against all advice, something

You say that like it's a bad thing.
--

Life is too short to play cheap guitars.

Sometimes DC motor brushes squeak against a glazed commutator when they're run at low speed for a long time. A few minutes at full power should fix it.
Kevin McMurtrie wrote:

I haven't tried that with the A4 yet, but the A6 fan we've had on high for quite a while (when it's on that borderline between using the AC on low or no AC on high). Still, definitely worth a shot in the A4 - thanks!!
Bart