Squeaky Control Arms

Audi dealer in CT reported today that the squeaks I am hearing from the rear of my 1995 A6 with 140,000 miles are the control arms. The bushing supposedly cannot be replaced. One has to replace the entire control arm.

Dealer quoted the replacement control arms for the rear as $2,400 plus labor to install. Sounds way out....it seems Audi control arms have this squeaking problem fairly often.

Any ideas how to get rid of these squeaks at a little less cost?

Thanks... If U have a comment, please send a duplicate answer to the email adr below.

JK snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net

Reply to
J Koli

WHAT?!!!

Are they made out of gold?

Brand new rear control arms for my Cutlass are $40 each and less than 20 minutes to replace!

Reply to
Noozer

I didn't find these parts, but similar front end parts cost about $150 or less.

Yep. Sounds way out to me as well.

Ken

Reply to
KWS

ETKA shows the bushes as separate items.... I take it this is a non-Quattro with the beam axel ? Rgds

Reply to
Alec

I had the same problem with my 98 A4, but had it done under warranty.

Anyway, a mechanic friend of mine repaired a friend's A4 with the same problem. He injected oil into the bushes with a syringe. It stopped the problem dead in its tracks, he just fills them back up every year.

Cheap, but works fine.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Jeffs

I have the same problem with my 2000 A6. Any good mechanic in SF Bay Area for this type of work? Thanks.

Reply to
Brian_K

Same problem here with '99 A6 in Milwaukee. $900+ per side for fix at International Auto.

Reply to
Dale Webler