Squek in rear suspension A6 Quattro

My 96 A6 Quattro wagon has developed a squeak in the left rear suspension. I'm pretty sure its coming from the top of the strut. When I spray white grease up there or if its raining the squek disappears or gets less for a
while. Looking at my POS Bentley CD it looks like it could be a degraded "bonded rubber bushing" or the "dampening ring". Anyone have this problem before. Is there an easier fix than replacing one or both of the mentioned items. Thanks Roger
Also check the rear control arms. They are the rod with the camber adjustment that runs from just above and inside the brake rotor and points inward. It has rotating joints at each end that get dry and tend to squeak. best fix is to replace them. you can try to inject grease with a needle grease fitting but that will only last a short time.