Stearing column squeak

I have an A6 1.9 TDI 1999. When I turn the steering wheel I get a squeaking noise coming from the steering column - kind of like something is rubbing
against the column. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have any ideas what it could be?
had a very common problem with the bottom ball joints on these audi's squeaking when turning. check the squeak from this area first before condeming the column. regards. steve.

Thanks for the replies, I have read somewhere that often the rubber cover for the ball joints needs pulling back and lubrication being put on - WD40. Not sure that the WD40 would stay on there for long - any other ideas would be well recieved.

The pump can make some short grinding noise when standing stll and turning the wheel. Nothing to worry about.
Ronald