Stock Corvette C5 Convertible vs Audi A8 4.2 race in German streets and Autobahn

The Corvette was kicking the Audi's butt in the streets, but once they got on the Autobahn and the Audi kicked it up to 300+ km/h it was no contest.
And this was just a 4.2 liter V8 Audi with the governor removed. Imagine if it was a W12 Audi with the governor removed or better yet the upcoming Audi W16. Here's part 1 of the race. http://videos.streetfire.net/search/Audi+A8/0/67f0a6b2-289b-4e61-bd05-980c00eb3928.htm Here's part 2 of the race, but it's mislabeled part 3. http://videos.streetfire.net/search/Audi+A8/0/367e3244-8b1e-4ac5-8481-980c00f07289.htm Here's part 3 of the race, but it's mislabeled part 2.
Just imagine if it was a just another 'vette smoking off the over hyped tin wannabe.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Hehe - just imagine if all Ay-merican cars weren't the pile of crap we truly know they are in our heart of hearts...
I say us Yankees get ourselves as many of them little Yurrupian cars as we can before they cut off our supply!
;o)

As usual, completely full of yourself.
Dave L. Sadverkeit wrote:

Honey, that you? How's the kids? The op was a success I guess - you always did like the name Bob...

Put the top down on your Audi. See how fast you go then.
--
please reply to bargerw NO @ SPAM bellsouth.net and remove the NOSPAM

< snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Put a 5.7 litre engine in the Audi, won't see the Corvette for dust... ;o)

The one in the video is the base Audi A8 $75k-80,000 version with the 4.2 Liter V8 engine. That same Audi actually is available with a 6.0 Liter 12 Cylinder W12 Engine But even that engine is no match for the upcoming engine for Audi's new supercar which is an 8.0 Liter 16 Cylinder W16 engine. That thing is a monster. You should check out the Audi S8 which has basically the same V10 engine as the Lamborghini Gallardo. The Audi R10 takes it to an even higher level with a V10 Engine with Twin Turbos. The Audi W16 with an 8.0 Liter 16 Cylinder Engine is such an insane supercar that only the Bugatti Veyron and the Barabus TKR are equal or better. The most incredible thing about many of these engines is that there's still tons of room for improvements via mods as they don't even have an turbos or superchargers in in them.
Now these audis with the excpetion of the R8 and W16 aren't quarter mile monsters, but all of them will go EXTREMELY EXTREMLY fast when you remove the governor. Even the Slower V8 Audis with the governor removed are made more for crusing at 170-200MPH on Europes extremely long straightaways rather than drag racing.
I'm sorry to say, but that Audi that was outrunning the C5 Corvette on the Autobahn was a "Grandfather's Audi".
Marcus Redd wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

But it's still a comparison between two entirely different car concepts.
Apples and oranges.
Wolfgang

Yah - our true-blue American concept of "More power? Bigger engine!" vs. the Euro concept "More power? Better engineering!"
Less "apples and oranges", more "elephants and cheetahs"...
But don't let it get ya down!
;o)

The Audi has a lower coefficient of drag than the Corvette, especially since the 'vette was a convertible and with the top down. A better comparison would have been with a Corvette Coupe, although it's Cd is still higher than the Audi's. The Corvette has a higher Cd because the body was designed to generate downforce for high speed turns. You eventually have to turn ;^) Remember when the first Audi TT's were flying off the autobahn because they didn't have enough downforce?
Yes, the Corvette uses an "old technology" push-rod engine, but this was by design. Although it has greater displacement, it is lighter and more compact than Audi's more efficient DOHC design. This not only keeps its weight down, but also keeps the Corvette's center of gravity low. And the gobs of low-end torque is a nice benefit too.
Regards, Tip
Does cross posting make it any easier to find your penis?
Might ask the OP..
You remind me of a guy that was climbing the 'Ladder of success'... Only to find that after years of climbing he got to the top. Old guy there said.... Hi, I'm Sess.
--
please reply to bargerw NO @ SPAM bellsouth.net and remove the NOSPAM

"Dad" < snipped-for-privacy@fisher.net> wrote in message
On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 10:17:55 +0200, Wolfgang Pawlinetz

Fast and slow?