Strange disconnected hose under hood

While fishing around under the hood of my 1993 90S this afternoon, to find the source of an odd rattle, I found a disconnected hose.
It's about 5mm wide, and a translucent light brown colour.
It's behind the battery on the (US) driver's side, and goes behind a piece of metal which is over the wheel well.
I noticed that the washer fluid pipe also flows down behind that metal too, so I assume this might have something to do with the washer fluid pump.
My washer fluid pump doesn't work. When I try to use it, there isn't even a sound to suggest that it's running, which makes me think these two things are probably related.
The only problem left is, that I have no idea at all where this hosing should connect to! I looked around but can't find a place where it might go. Does anyone know, or have a diagram that might help me??
Thanks :-)

It could also be the battery gas/overflow tube.
Some batteries have a vent port at one end onto which a pre installed hose is connected.
I have just replaced my battery for a new Varta which is sealed and does not require this tube or have the facilities even to connect it................I have just tucked the tube behind the battery.
dj
Most, but not all, Audi Batteries have a vent port to expell Hydrogen gases; I say this is what you have.

The tank is in the wheel case but near the battery. It probably solves your problem when you connect it and the cable to the pump as well.
Ronald

I'm pretty certain this isn't coming from the battery so it's not the hydrogen release tube. The problem is, I have no idea where the pump is that this might connect to! I can't obviosuly see it and I don't have a repair manual :(

And I told you where it was located.......
Ronald

Yeah I need to learn to read. Thanks :)