Strange (((((shake))))) in the front right wheel under acceleration

Its an 03 A4 1.8t Quattro with 98k miles on it. In the last 2 weeks ive noticed a little noise, rougher front end and a little wheel shake under hard acceleration. 2 times in he last 2 weeks ive had a harsh sound come from the front passenger wheel area. The grinding, for lack of a better word, only lasted a minute and had no effect on performance or handling.during. Now ive noticed a lot more wheel shake... or movement when making a right turn with decent acceleration. if I had to try and visualize what im feeling... .it would be that the passenger front wheel moves and inch forward then an inch back, then again, and again..... couple of times a second when making this type of move. If im running along straight at a 20mph and the engine up in the 4k rpm range and floor it... I can feel this type of action. Just not as bad as in a turn with the load on that wheel lightened.

Ive put about 45k miles on it and never felt this before. Strut issue? Wheel bearing issue? God forbid, quattro issue?

Any help would at least tell me where to start looking..

jake

Reply to
jake

Maybe the CV joint on that side is going to Heaven?

/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

Reply to
daytripper

Is that what it feels like when CV joints go to heaven? Never had a

4wd with CV joints before, they've all been solid axle rides....... with offroad tires..... and roll bars. This is a new experience for me. I did all my own work on my 4x4s but working on this audi scares the hell outta me. Its got substantially smaller tolerances than my others cars.

This something I can do in my driveway.... in an afternoon?

Jake '03 a4 5speed (driven like its an s4)

Reply to
jake

Check brake components and suspension components (tie rods) on both sides. Usually CV Joints are noisy in the turns, but anything is possible. ;-)

Also check the torque on the wheel lug bolts!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

A CV on the way out will either knock (if it's really screwed) or tug at the wheel rythmically (if it's on it's way) on a turn under accelleration. Most noticeable at low speed with a high torque loading.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Thats it... thats exactly what its doing.. Tugging at the wheel rhythmically in a turn under acceleration. Its like you were riding in the car with me!!!

Now.... What can I expect to pay a shop to have the entire CV axle swapped out? This something I can do in my driveway with the right hardware? Should I change the whole axle... or just the offending joint?

Thanks for all the answers fellas.....

Jake

Reply to
jake

It will probably only be one joint, and it's probably the outer one on the outside of the turn (so turning left, it's the R/H outer joint).

Changing a CV isn't usually that hard. I've never done an A4, but I once did a Mk2 Golf on a driveway in about 30 minutes. It depends how hard it is to get the suspension dismantled to get at it: A4 suspension is complicated, golf 2 is simple. Once you can get at it the joint is a breeze to replace.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

With the A4 you will need to allocate more like three hours.

- The inner CV flange is held to the trans output with bolts that are 'tri-square' drive. This is not Torx or Allen. You can find them at most car parts stores. NAPA has them. A set of four sizes should cost about $15.

There are several ways to get the suspension apart to remove the axle.

- lower ball joint.

- removing the three bolts inside the engine bay that hold the top of the strut and unload the sway bar tension by lifting both sides of the car.

Replacing the whole axle is more cost effective and not much more that replacing the CV.

One thing that is a bit difficult to deal with is removing the heat shields if the passenger side axle is being replaced. Lots of long wrench extensions will be needed.

This would also be a good time to replace the wheel bearing.

Reply to
TonyJ