Strange stalling problem, 1993 90S

A few months ago my car started stalling when idle.. usually a few minutes after I stopped at a traffic light, or almost always as soon as I put it in park.

The gas guage doesn't go all the way over to 'full' when I fill the tank up so I was thinking the two might be related and I have a dying fuel pump.

I know the oil needs to be changed (there's minor smoking), and the hydaulic fluid was quite low (I topped it up yesterday).

Does anyone have any thoughts on what it might be apart from the fuel pump?

Reply to
Av

Av, Judging when the oil needs to be changed from the volume of the smoke that comes out the tailpipe essentially means that you're killing the car through neglect. Part of the problem is the connection between the steering wheel and the driver's seat. The fact that the gauge doesn't go all the way to "full" is not an indicator in any way of fuel pump condition - usually you'll hear it buzzing away like a nest of bees before it fails, and it usually fails to start up after sitting, not while running. If you're letting the oil turn into tar, then chances are the piston rings are wearing at the cylinder bore enough to give you alot of blowby, which will pump the "tar" into the intake system and really mess things up there. You could also have a clogged catalytic converter from the burned oil which may suffocate the engine when idling. There are lots of things that could be the main culprit - and those parts are too expensive to just guess which one it is. From the sounds of it, it's already in the market for an engine rebuild.... Cheers! Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)

"Av" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@gooseberry.silverwraith.com...

Reply to
Steve Sears

No no I wasn't doing that at all :-) I judge when the oil needs to be changed based on recent driving conditions, the weather, and several other factors. I try never to let it go over 5000mi in any case, and do it sooner if the conditions have been bad or if I've been doing a lot of stop/go driving.

But you've given me some ideas to look at. Thanks Steve.

Reply to
Av

Av, Here's a checklist to follow:

Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Uni>> Av,
Reply to
Steve Sears