struts for 98.5 A4 2.8Q

I think my 98.5 A4 2.8Q needs new struts at 102,000 miles. The rear tires have excessive wear on the inside of the tread (the car had a

4-wheel alignment in May 2005), plus the ride has been a bit noisy. The struts now on the car are from the factory and have definitely served well.

Any particular advice for this situation? I plan to replace all four struts in November, when I swap out my summer wheels and put on the winter wheels and would appreciate suggestions.

Reply to
KLS

Tony

Thanks for this tip; I'll share it with my mechanic of 15+ years who'll be doing the job. We didn't find loose bearings, but he didn't check for bushings as far as I know. If the alignment was done incorrectly, I'll be really pissed off because the nearby Audi independent did it. I have been thinking they're somewhat fraudulent, just a smidge cheaper than the dealer, and always seem to cost me a lot of money, unlike my mechanic.

A case in point is my recent rear brake job, for which the independent wanted to charge me about $350 for rotors and pads and possibly another $250 to replace one stuck caliper. My mechanic did the job for $100 less and unstuck the caliper, lubricating it for continued service. I'm gonna have him do the next timing belt/water pump/tensioner job in 20k miles instead of going to the independent ripoff artists.

So you're suggest>> I think my 98.5 A4 2.8Q needs new struts at 102,000 miles. The rear

Reply to
KLS

If the only reason you are thinking of replacing the struts is tire wear, yes, I would recommend alignment first.

Still, you should check for bad bush> >

Reply to
Tony

Okay, thanks for this suggestion.

One last question: do struts on these cars simply not die? Or, what's the basic life expectancy of struts on A4Qs?

Reply to
KLS

Reply to
Tony

Thanks, Tony, we'll double check those strut bearings and the dampening resistance.

Reply to
KLS