suggested aftermarket turbo air intake upgrade

I am slowly working on upgrading my 2001 225 tt and am looking at starting to work on the intake and exhaust system. Can I get some suggestions on the best aftermarket air intake upgrade (intake filter and hoses)? I am looking at going with a BMC TT CDA intake filter. Anyone had any experience with this product?

Reply to
brandon

Typical responses to questions on after market intakes usually suggest to not bother. The stock Audi intake is supposedly well engineered and most changes will reduce performance.

If the filter you mention is oiled beware that it is likely to damage the MAF and again, hurt performance.

Have you already chipped your ECU?

K04 turbo?

Exhaust is a good performance up-grade.

Reply to
Tony

I am waiting for my ARP chip upgrade (not getting here fast enough!). I was planning on upgrading my to an APR 3" full exhaust at the end of June, but I heard that a quality aftermarket air intake would make a difference (~10hp). The air intake I mentioned above is a carbon fibre filter.

Reply to
brandon

You heard wrong.

Or the person who told you doesn't have a clue. Aftermarket air intakes suffer from the following:

1.) Suck hot air from the engine compartment. Reduces performance. 2.) Use oiled elements that don't filter as well (turbo motors like well-filtered air) and get oil on the MAF wire, which kills the MAF. 3.) Require you to buy them, which lightens your wallet. This mass reduction probably will not be noticeable as increased performance.

I didn't see anywhere where you are going to upgrade the brakes.

E.P.

1995 UrS6
Reply to
Ed Pirrero

Thanks for the opinion. Brakes and suspension are done (Brembo and Koni respectivly, throughly satisfied). BTW, the BMC TT CDA does not draw air from the engine compartment, rather it connects to air intake on the front of the car via an aluminum duct.

Reply to
brandon