Symphony CD Error Code

Hi
Hope someone can shed some light on what the following code would mean on my UK Symphony CD player (fitted in 2000 A6)
After loading a CD the display shows ERR1.
Obviously an error, possibly reading the disk? but does anyone have any experience fixing it or has the CD player died.
I haven't got a multichanger, so if the main CD unit is irrepairable I could fit a multichanger to get over it.
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Ian.

I have the Symphony (with Bose, but I suspect that doesn't change the head unit error codes) and the only time I've ever seen ERR1 was with a disc that, when cleaned, read fine. So I would indeed suspect that's the basic catch-all "I can't read the disc" error message.
Assuming you've tried at least a couple of stamped CDs with the same result, you might try to blow out the inevitable dust accumulation (gently, of course) and see if the performance improves. Failing that, perhaps someone here has swapped out a working head unit in favor of an aftermarket solution that you could obtain a replacement...
/daytripper '00 s4 6spd
I will occasionally get this error message on "home made" CDs. I have found if you burn them at a very slow speed (4-8X) they work dependably.