Synthetic Oil Question

I have 03 A4 1.8T manual. When I took my car for a first scheduled service in May I asked to put a synthetic oil in. Yesterday, I picked my car after a second scheduled service and then I realized that I forgot to tell my dealer to put synthetic oil in, of course they used 'normal' oil. I heard that once synthetic oil is used, one has to stick to it. Can this cause any problems? Should I go back to my dealer and ask them to do another oil change and this time used a synthetic one? Any advice / comments?

Thanks a lot, jr

Reply to
jr

Yes, you should ask them to do it again as synthetic oil is a much better choice for your turbocharged engine. However, the advice about not mixing dino and synthetic oil hasn't been accurate for 20+ years. "Back in the day" there were compatibility problems, but that hasn't been the case in a very long time.

Cheers,

Chris Mauritz

Did you have to pay extra for synthetic? If not, chances are, they didn't put synthetic in at all. At most dealership, the free maintence only covers mineral oil, and if you want synthetic, you either have to bring your own or pay for it at the dealer out of your own pocket.

That's the preferred way, but I don't think your engine will suffer any catastrophical consequences if you switch from one to another once in a while. I'd be more concerned about the proper viscosity grade, certification, and the change interval (longer runs are OK with synth, but not necessarily with mineral).

Personally, I would replace it with synthetic ASAP. That's because turbo is very hard on oil and IMO, mineral oil is not up to the task. Mineral is more likely to coke if you don't observe proper turbo cooling procedures. Also, if you do 10K mile oil change intervals (I'm assuming you do, since you're still under warranty and it's free), mineral oil will be shot by then. For the well-being of your engine in the long run (after the warranty runs out), I'd use synthetic oil exclusively.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

I called my dealer and they confirmed, mineral oil was put in my car. I aready booked for next week to replace back to synthetic.

Thanks Pete,

John

Reply to
jr

Back in the day, as another poster put it, you could not put synthetic oil in cars that did not have proper gaskets. I had an '84 Lincoln Mk7 that I bought as second owner in '96. After a week or so I put synthetic in it, and let me tell you, that stuff ate the crap out the oil pan and valve cover gaskets within weeks. Leaked like a sieve.

Reply to
ZiggyPopp