Temp Warning Light

Hi I drive a '94 500 SEL, the SA version of the Audi 100 with the V6 2.8l engine. The prob is that as soon as I switch on the ignition, the temperature warning light comes on and stays on even after starting the car for the first time on a cold morning. Where is this sensor located?

Thanks

Andr=E9

Reply to
Andre

My Audi 80 Coupe use to do this but then again it never had a water temp guage only a green light to tell you the engine was up to temp...

Reply to
mrliam

Reply to
Tony

Also take into account the fact that coolant can expand and contract with the temp.Depending on how cold it was this could be the cause.

Reply to
Archangel

No, I have a small LED-like display in the center of my dash with numerous indications, the red "low coolant level signal has come on previously, but after refilling the reservoir, this died again. The warning I am talking about is a yellow pictures representing a radiator with steam boiling out of it.

Reply to
Andre

Andre, You might find that the yellow warning you are describing is actually the windshield washer reservoir tank sensor saying that you're low. I once coasted off a highway and let my car cool down - I was about to call a tow truck when I read what the warning was in the Owner's Manual (hint...hint). Cheers! Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k
Reply to
Steve Sears

Thanks Steve Some one else also told me that and he turned out to be right.

Regarding the manual, I bought the car about three months ago obviously without a manual. I did contact Audi South Africa for a replacement manual,but (unlike BMW who gave me a manual for my '90 model car), the salesman bursted out laughing and told me there was no way I would get a manual for a car that's ten years old!

So without an owners manual, you guys were the next obvious choice. I don't know about your country but here in SA there's no way that an agent will help you with even the simplest thing if you aren't willing to spend a fortune on services and repair.

Thank very much for all your help

Andr=E9

Reply to
Andre

Regarding the manual, I bought the car about three months ago obviously without a manual. I did contact Audi South Africa for a replacement manual,but (unlike BMW who gave me a manual for my '90 model car), the salesman bursted out laughing and told me there was no way I would get a manual for a car that's ten years old!

So without an owners manual, you guys were the next obvious choice. I don't know about your country but here in SA there's no way that an agent will help you with even the simplest thing if you aren't willing to spend a fortune on services and repair.

Thank very much for all your help

André

--------------------------

Hi André,

Have you tried the Audi Club of SA? They're only too pleased to steer you in the right direction and have some very knowledgeable people they can put you in touch with.

Groete,

Paul

Reply to
S.A. Airborne

Hi Andre and Paul,

This seems to become a South African discousion now ;-)

If you are absolutely stuck, I could offer you a photo copy of a manual of a 1988 Audi 500, but that's probably not too relevant.

I seem to be a bit luckier here. I already got quite some good advice from the mechanics at Philwest in Sommerset West and only spend a few hundret Rand there so far.

Just out of couriosity: whereabout do you stay?

Paul, do you have any contact details?

Thanks,

Christoph

Reply to
Christoph Bollig

Andre, What a moron. You can contact the publishers of the manuals at:

and they'll either sell you a manual or send you to someone who can. The 5000 manuals (no listing for the South African 500, but they're probably not listed as they're not in demand as much) are available back to the 70's. You might also talk to the folks in the Parts department at an Audi dealer. Sales guys are most conversant with the new models, and unless they're a grizzled old veteran who was with the company in the 60-Minutes Uncontrolled Acceleration Fiasco Era, or a keener who wants to leap up the corporate ladder, you're not going to find too many that know anything about the old 5 cylinder models. The Parts guys, though, deal with the 5 cylinder cars every day. All Audi manuals and publications should have a part number - they may be able to find it for you - and maybe even order it in for you. Cheers! Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)

Regarding the manual, I bought the car about three months ago obviously without a manual. I did contact Audi South Africa for a replacement manual,but (unlike BMW who gave me a manual for my '90 model car), the salesman bursted out laughing and told me there was no way I would get a manual for a car that's ten years old!

So without an owners manual, you guys were the next obvious choice. I don't know about your country but here in SA there's no way that an agent will help you with even the simplest thing if you aren't willing to spend a fortune on services and repair.

Thank very much for all your help

André

Reply to
Steve Sears

Hi Steve,

I think he was just talking about the small car manual which comes with it when you buy a new car, not the service manual. Even that is difficult to get here.

Christ> Andre,

Reply to
Christoph Bollig

Christoph, Actually, Bentley prints both the Repair Manuals ("How to replace the engine", etc.) and the Owner's Manuals ("WARNING! Don't drink gasoline, oil, battery acid, coolant, etc. etc."). When I first got my '87, I had to order the owner's manual from them. They shipped the non-quattro one to me and so they shipped the correct manual to me at no additional charge. This was before all the '87 5ktq's started turning up with regulart frequency at the local wrecking yard, some with mint manuals. The local Audi parts department directed me to Bentley - instead of laughing about my old car. Cheers! Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k
Reply to
Steve Sears

Hi there, I live in Durban, but the Audi Club has chapters all over the country. Go to

and check it out.

Regards,

Paul

Reply to
S.A. Airborne

Sorry for the long delay I was away for a while.

I was not aware of them, next time I'll try them.

I am in the Klerksdorp region, North West.

Bentley does publish a manual, but only for the 5cylinder as far as I could find out. I can get a manual on CD, but that cost a small fortune.

I might be a moron as you put it, but I'm not that stupid to go and speak with a sales rep. The parts guys locally are really not that helpfull.

"What a moron!" If you read the original post, you'll see it's a six cylinder we're talking about.

Yes you're right.

Reply to
Andre

Andre, I think you may have misunderstood me - actually, yes, you did. I was NOT calling _YOU_ a moron. Rather, I directed the moniker at the person at Audi SA who laughed at you - THAT person should have their head examined. As I had also deleted your original post from my cache, so I apologise for my "moronic" misunderstanding about the number of cylinders in the engine of your car, but to the point: the parts guys at a local dealership will have a better hand on the older models than a guy who is up on the latest and greatest of the Audi line of products. If you go in to a parts counter and ask for a water pump for a 10+ year old car, it's not like going into a computer shop and asking for a casette tape drive for a Commodore VIC-20 - they'll be able to get you the water pump for a 10+ year old car. The parts department usually has a parts microfiche or computer program (ETKA) that they use to look up the part numbers for the car. I suggest that you contact Bentley and ask them for the Owner's Manual....not the repair manual.......for your car - or if they can direct you to someone who can. The Audi Club of SA is also a good direction to look. Cheers! Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply) "Andre" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

----------------SNIP ---------------8<

Reply to
Steve Sears

Audi 100se V6 Starting Problem. Car Will Start And Run For About 2 Or 3 Days And Then Will Turn Over But Wont Start For 1 Day Next Day The Car Starts Fine Changed Fuel Pump Still Same Problem

Reply to
Douglas

and the temp warning light comes on?

maybe the engine speed sensor or battery connections (grounds)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Thanks dave, i went back to see if it was the alarm system that was the problem as there is no spark being generated and decided to remove the alarm system,still got same problem car turns over no problem just wont start. removed spark plug to check still no spark would the engine speed sensor cause this ?

Reply to
Douglas

forgot the car!

Reply to