Temperature increase

When driving my 99 Audi A4 2.8 everything is fine. Runs at normal temps. But if I turn her off after a good ride, then restart her, the temp guage flies like ten degrees over normal temp. But it returns to normal temp pretty quickly as soon as the car is turned on (even without moving). Is this normal and have I just not noticed this before? Also my car was parked for a couple days and when I started it up, what I believe is the temp warning light, began to flicker. Its located in the middle of the dash cluster, the top left one. If anyone has any thoughts or tips to find out what's going on with my car. Please let me know. I live in a small town with no Audi dealership, so most mechanics don't know much about my car or my questions.

Reply to
profits23

[Snip]

Perfectly normal. Adter the run, when you stop the engine it is very warm. Because the engine is no longer running, the water pump is no longer pumping the coolant round. This results in the temperature rising, which you see on the gauge as soon as you restart. However, once the engine is running, the coolant starts to circulate and cools everything down again.

Reply to
Peter Bell

Thanks, I was beginnig to be somewhat concearned, considering the warm temperatures of summer and all.

Reply to
profits23