Throttle Intake Boot

Is there something more durable i.e. aluminum metal tubing, that I can use to replace one of these rubber accordion boots?

I was wondering the same thing, what else can I use, about the hose connecting the after-run blower to the injector shroud.

Thanks,

Bill Graham

---------------

1989 Audi 200TQ
Reply to
Bill Graham

I would imagine that any mandrel bent steel tubing of the correct diameter would be ideal. Aluminum probably wouldn't work unless it was cast into the correct shape. Using smooth tubing with minimal bends absolutely increases the flow rate of the part, but whether or not that would make any noticible difference in engine output depends entirely on whether the engine is "air starved" to begin with.

Cheers,

Chris Mauritz

Is the engine in the 200 "air starved"? I've been wondering if all that OEM airfilter mess could be swapped out for a canister type, less bulky, easier to change air rig.

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
Bill Graham

No, 'cuz there's a device hanging off the passenger side of the engine to alleviate any type of starvation. The stock air filter setup is fine for at least 250HP. Ad a cone or some other hoaky setup, and you end up sucking hot air out of the engine bay instead of cold air from out front.

Reply to
JPF

Agreed. The stock airbox/intake doesn't strike me as being terribly restrictive at all. I have seen kits for "cone filters" with a metal barrier between the filter and the turbo/engine, but it looks like a major kludge. I can't imagine it being very effective.

Cheers,

JPF wrote:

Reply to
Chris Mauritz

I just hate changing the air filter: not that it's done THAT often, but ...

Bill

Reply to
Bill Graham

Yeah, there isn't a lot of room there to get your hands/tools in....at least not on my B5 A4 1.8TQ. I try to change my air filter every 10-15k miles and I don't look forward to it. 8-)

Cheers,

Bill Graham wrote:

Reply to
Chris Mauritz