Tightening Handle Trimming Plate

'89 200TQ: The handle seems fine, but the trim around it is getting loose. Is there a procedure you guys would recommend?

Thanks,

Bill Graham

---------------

1989 Audi 200TQ
Reply to
Bill Graham

I have no idea what you are referring to.

T> '89 200TQ: The handle seems fine, but the trim around it is getting loose.

Reply to
TonyJ

The door handle: there is a section of it that wraps around the sides and top where the lock set is. I have a loose section that pulls away from the door.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Graham

Hot glue?

Reply to
Romy Singh

Again, very unclear what you are referring to.

If you are talking about the door opening handle / lever on the inside of each front door, the plastic insert that is behind it has a phillips screw that holds it in place. The screw is covered by a plastic piece that pops out with a flat blade screwdriver. remove the plastic cover and use a small (US # 4 or 6) screw to re-secure the plastic.

T> The door handle: there is a section of it that wraps around the sides and

Reply to
TonyJ

Romy, ARGH. My dad used to use that stuff to fix everything - it used to last about a month or so - then fall off again. Bill, If there are no obvious fasteners that are loose, then try JBWeld or even urethane adhesive like they glue the windshield in with (local autobody supply shops will have the latter). Cheers! Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)
Reply to
Steve Sears

I imagine it's a fastener on the inside of the door that is loose. I've not taken off a door panel before. Wonder what I'll screw up. I'd like to do some lubing in there anyway. A couple of the windows sound like there is sand in the system when they move.

Thanks,

Bill

1989 200TQ

Reply to
Bill Graham

Bill, ewww....that sand is probably rust - BTDT - had to replace the regulator on the driver's side door when the window opener failed (of course, in the middle of winter - not a good idea to use the drive through line in Tim Horton's coffee shop in a blizzard with a crusty regulator). It's not a bad job, just make sure that you have all the spacer shims in between the door skin and window assemblies. There was a discussion on Audifans of a company in California that has a convertion kit to a cable-less system. That will be my next step. Cheers! Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k
Reply to
Steve Sears