Timing Belt change: mileage or time ?

I have a 99' A6 Quattro with 18K miles on the clock. I know 18K is low mileage but 4 years is a concern to me. Should I consider changing timing belt now?.

Any words of wisdom are welcome

Tony

Reply to
Tony

I would wait until 6 yrs, with a peace of mind.

Reply to
Saintor

FYI I just changed the timing belt for the first time on a 1985 Audi 5000S. It was starting to look bad after 92K miles. Yes this vehicle is not driven too much, but the belt still looked like it had only gone 92K miles and did not look 18 years old. :-) I would say check it to relieve your mind, but change it at the recommended mileage interval!!! MILEAGE!

dave

I don't know how wise it is, but I stick pretty closely to the book, and it doesn't mention anything about time with the timing belt.

I'm going a reputable independent shop today to have a new t-belt, water pump, rollers, and tensioner installed into my '99 A6Q. (shop is getting all parts) I have 74.5K miles on them - my owners manual says every 75K miles - close enough for me. You have to choose some sort of guidance, it may as well be the book.

I have other toys to experiment with mechanically. My car is not a research vehicle - I'm not testing the wear limit myself.

However, I don't think four years is something to worry about regarding your belt.

This gets debated here bi-monthy at least. It never gets old though.

Grover

in article snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com, Tony at snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote on 9/6/03 3:14 PM:

Reply to
Grover