timing belt replacement 98 A6 28 Quattro

I just received an estimate of a 5 hour job @ $650 total to replace the timing belt, including replacing the water pump and coolant - which was recommended by the mechanic. Does this sound reasonable? Do you think that
the new water pump is necessary? Thanks...

time and cost is about right for that work. yes its worth doing the pump.
while the engine is down it might be wise to also replace the multi v belt, tensioner and belt dampers.
Its more money obviously but worth thinking about.
dj 630 for A4 2.4 V6
The car is in right now and they are receommending the additional parts mentioned below. It is now around $1000-$1100 USD. Still reasonable in your opinion? Thanks, DD
Lez Pawl wrote:

Good price, you can pay now, or later. Their prices seem good. How good is the warranty?
--
please reply to bargerw NO @ SPAM bellsouth.net and remove the NOSPAM

"ddayaudi via CarKB.com" <u24795@uwe> wrote in message

yes sounds about right............
Sounds about right. I called around to 3 "local" dealers and was quoted anywhere from $1,200 to $1,700 for the lot. I went ahead and did it all myself with the help of a friend. Parts only cost plus a gallon fo coolant ran about $400 altogether, plus $100 for the special tools to hold the camshafts & crankshaft. It took roughly 5-6 hours to get it all done.
Definately do the water pump, coolant, tensioner & dampers since they are all completely accessable and shouldn't cost much more for the minimal extra labor to do it. T-stat is right there, too.
On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 17:42:48 GMT, "ddayaudi via CarKB.com"

Yes and Yes.
Add the timing belt tensioner, front seal, thermostat, G12 antifreeze and misc gaskets. All are important to change when the T belt is being done.
$650 sounds very fair.
ddayaudi wrote:

My 1997 Audi A4 2.8 quattro needed a new timing belt every 120,000 km. The stupid mechanics didn't replace the water pump at 120,000 km and guess what happened? Yes, the water pump leaked at about 200000 km. Then I took the opportunity to replace the timing belt as well. By the way, your time estimate doesn't seem high. Hope this helps
--
G. Tarantino - Switzerland
2001 Audi A4 3.0 Q 183,000 km (113,000 miles)