timing belt waring A4

just had to rebuild the engine on a customers 1.8ltr 20 valve A4 because he neglected to change his cambelt. it cost him almost 1000. all 20 valves were ruined, however when we called audi for the replacement
belt etc they informed us that there was a modification to the tensioner and pulley, probably common knowledge in audi dealership circles but the owner had no idea, and subsequently this was (in our opinion) the reason for failure. despite the fact that his renewal mileage was overdue. be warned.......these belts WILL fail, and cause major damage if not looked after.
On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 19:15:48 -0000, "steve"

what was the mileage on the vehicle?
- -- Curtis Newton snipped-for-privacy@remove-me.akaMail.com http://surf.to/cnewton <delete remove-me. to respond to email> ICQ: 4899169

Yup. Anything above 60K miles on the 1.8T is really pushing it. The manual states 105 or 120K miles though. :-(
Cheers,
Pete
If you have a certified A4 do as the manual recommends. According to Audi, if the belt fails before the recommended mileage it is a warranty item.
Bruce still dealing with turbo prob.

i agree, but if your 1 mile over recomended interval..........not audi's problem is it...