timing belt waring A4

just had to rebuild the engine on a customers 1.8ltr 20 valve A4 because he neglected to change his cambelt. it cost him almost £1000. all 20 valves were ruined, however when we called audi for the replacement belt etc they informed us that there was a modification to the tensioner and pulley, probably common knowledge in audi dealership circles but the owner had no idea, and subsequently this was (in our opinion) the reason for failure. despite the fact that his renewal mileage was overdue. be warned.......these belts WILL fail, and cause major damage if not looked after.

Reply to
steve

what was the mileage on the vehicle?

-

-- Curtis Newton snipped-for-privacy@remove-me.akaMail.com

ICQ: 4899169

Reply to
Curtis Newton

Yup. Anything above 60K miles on the 1.8T is really pushing it. The manual states 105 or 120K miles though. :-(

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

If you have a certified A4 do as the manual recommends. According to Audi, if the belt fails before the recommended mileage it is a warranty item.

Bruce still dealing with turbo prob.

i agree, but if your 1 mile over recomended interval..........not audi's problem is it...

Reply to
steve