timing belts

My 2001 A8 is now at the dealers for 3 weeks due to a broken timing belt...the water pump seized and then the car just shut down...anyone have a similar problem?

ouch.......sounds expensive.
How many miles covered and is this its first belt.

I knew there was a reason I just don't like that whole water pump driven by timing belt arrangement.......