To the owners of A6

Page 1 of 2
Me and my wife test drove a 2001 A6 2.7T 6M and found a couple of glitches which I would like to share with the group. The steering wheel does not provide a reasonable response even in turns, and
the gas pedal is so light that you do not feel any resistance at all. As far as I know it is a 'drive-by-wire' system, not a direct link, and it might be a cause of the problem.
Other then these two problems the car is fine. The shifter is good, the clutch has the right feel too. My question is: are all last generation A6s like this or this particular car is problematic? If not all A6s like this then I either ask the dealer to fix this one or will be looking for another one. In case if this is an original design, then I feel sorry for you guys, you drive a piece of junk.
My wife wants a medium sized car, preferably AWD, and a manual shifter is a must. The choices are very limited: Audi and Subaru. They fall into different categories though, but we test drove a new 250 HP Legacy right after we tested a new 530 BMW, and to our surprise we both found that the Lecacy's handling is very similar to a BMW's, very precise and responsive, it is a good driver's machine. We are not ready for a Subaru yet, but we might consider one if an Audi is not an option.
Thanks for reading, Vlad

Winning attitude there, idiot. I don't even own an Audi, and I take offense to you stating your opinion as fact. I suppose that I could state as fact that anyone named "Vlad" is an asshole. Give me a break, you come to an Audi forum to ask help from mostly Audi owners and you insult them while asking them for feedback. Smart move.
Randy

You have a mental problem, I'm sorry for you, have a good life then

Subaru is a lot cheaper than Audi, so do consider it (advice from someone with a 1999 Legacy Outback and a 1998 Audi A4 2.8Q), but these two features of the car you drove are not normal for an Audi. Pass on that car and find a different Audi.

2001 A6s are coming off lease, and those with a stick shift are rare, at least in my area. Only two of them are near by. Not too many choices unfortunately. I'll try to look onto another one later this week.
Vlad

Then ask yourself whether having a stick-shift is a real requirement, or just a prejudice or superstition from another time. There isn't anything a stick-shift can do that an automatic cannot -- especially one like Audi's Tiptronic, which you can always drive as if it were a stick without having to worry about replacing clutches.
dk
It befuddles me why anyone will want a stick shift luxury car. Especially when the same model offers a tiptronic.
This is why I ended up with an Audi and not a WRX.
--
_________________________________
http://austinmini.ositech.net
<< It befuddles me why anyone will want a stick shift luxury car...This is why I ended up with an Audi and not a WRX. >>
It befuddles me that anybody could use the words "luxury car" and "WRX" in the same sentence, in the manner in which you have.
Peter Smith
Yes Peter you are correct.
I was searching for a WRX when I saw the A4 on the lot. Just be opening the door and sitting on the drivers seat I was sold.
That it had tiptronic closed the deal.
--
_________________________________
http://austinmini.ositech.net
wrote:

these
on
at
On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 14:42:17 -0500, Dan Koren wrote:

I just wish the A6 tiptronic offered something closer to the 0.2 second tip shift in the higher end Euro sport cars. Seems like most the time our cars are closer to 3-5 times slower than that. Other brands measure and brag about their tip shift times. I haven't seen those numbers in any A6/8 brochure. But then the typical Audi customer is probably more concerned about the smoothness of the shift rather than the rate.
The GIAC tip chip will take care of that nicely.
--
_________________________________
http://austinmini.ositech.net
On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 02:59:42 +0000, AustinMini.OsiTech.Net wrote:

Well I have the tip chip already. Sure enough the shifting itself got faster. But the car still thinks about whether it should shift or not for nearly a second beforehand. I've heard some folks report that the GIAC engine chip in addition to the tip chip improves the response time a bit.

Why are you people giving me advices I did not asked for? And why do you care what I drive? And how come you have an opinion about the subject you have no idea about?
I do not care what you drive, just be happy with it. And why do you think even Cadillac is offering a stick shift in its CTS regardless of 50 years of technology? I'll tell you why. Because there is a number of people who knows the difference. I do not care how fast a slush box is able to shift, it is not about the shifting speed at all. It is about control, convenience, comfort and safety if you like, but I doubt that you'll understand. I do not want buttons, I want a real thing, pure and perfect.

Stay blindfolded if you like, I dont care.

This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Thank you, I've had a very good laugh.
Ironically the car is not even for me, it is for my wife. I'm quite happy with my two-seater, and not going to replace it in the nearest future.
But, I have a very bad news for you. I bought her a car, and it is an A6 with 6 speed. We also considered a BMW 530, which she liked the most, but in the area where we live having an AWD is a good advantage, and we decided to get this one. So, I might be insulting you guys once in a while:)
Thanks, Vlad

"KIP"

What size tires/rims do you have?

Sounds like you're the one with a piece of junk. My A4 doesn't suffer from either one of these problems. See if you can have someone (dealer or an indy shop) look at the car. Maybe it needs an alignment. And maybe the gas pedal stiffness can be adjusted.

Volvo S60R comes with a manual tranny. Not sure how good their AWD system is though.
Cheers,
Pete
I've been driving A6s for many years, dating back to when they were 5000 series (then 100/200). I have never had the troubles you speak of. I would search for a different Audi, because that one is acting strangely. Consider the A6 with the 4.2 engine and Tiptronic xmsn. Great car.
I owned a Suby one time. Broke it within a year. Traded it in for a VW Synchro (Audi engine/running gear).
Dave RS6

series
search
A6
Was that a Passat or a Bora/Jetta ? Sychro was the name given to the older VW's 4wd system, which they now call 4-motion over here, if it was a Bora how did you find the Haldex Vs Torsen, as you now have RS?
I've never driven a Haldex 4wd but can't imagine I would feel as secure as I do in my A4.
Ronny
Ronny writes:

It was an 86 Quantum Synchro with an Audi five cylinder and an Audi transaxle. It was the same as an Audi 4000 except with a VW wagon body. Great car. Joanne and I rallied in it for several years, finally giving it to my son-in-law when we bought a 90 5 cylinder Turbo 200 wagon.
Sychro was the name given to the older

I believe the Quantun had Torsen also, I may be wrong, but I believe it had the same running gear as an Audi, and not one of VW's engine/transaxle.

Love the RS6. Just coming up on 15K joy filled miles. It embarasses the hell out of most Corvettes and Porsches, but blasting STS "Dudes" is about as much fun as you can have in any car.

:) - one day maybe
Till then I gotta stick to a 1.8T quattro, which isn't such a bad thing
Ronny writes:

Operative word being "quattro". I've driven a friends 1.8T and it's a lot of fun.
When you get to be an old geezer and the kids are edumacated and the house is paid off, *then* ya can get that RS6. I never would have made it to old geezerhood if I had an RS6 when I was 21.
d;o)