too much oil

can you tell me how much is too much? i added a little too much oil in the engine. i added just a little above the normal level

Reply to
chewb40

chewb40 knastet inn: :

Too much, _is_ too much. If you added too much in a cold engine, its worse than in a warm engine. How much is /a little/ ?

If /a little/ is a little to much, you may risk the engine seals. If it is way too much, you're going to blow the head gasket.

Fix it - better safe, than sorry. Drain from the plug, or suck via the inspection hole.

Reply to
Frank

above max by...........

3mm - ok 5mm - not serious 7mm - hmmmmmmmm 10mm - hmmmmmmmmmmmmm 15mm - drain some out.
Reply to
Lez Pawl

'Too much' is just a bit more than 'more than adequate'.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Way too much may also damage the catalytic converter. I think that this warning is in your owner's manual.

How much extra do you have in there? You could just drain out a little. There are some vacuum devices that can suck some oil out through the dipstick tube. And some people use this tool to actually drain all/most of the oil out of the bottom of the engine when they "change" the oil.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Reply to
chewb40

Flowing out the dipstick tube - way too damn much.

:)

E.P.

Reply to
Ed Pirrero

This technique of "draining" oil through the dipstick hole is quite common and is certainly used in VW agents within the UK and is probably a VAG approved practice.

I have had 2 VAG vehicles from new and in 2 services each I have doubts (verging on certainty) that the underpans have ever been removed, thus the oil must have been sucked out through the dipstick hole. I don't personally find this too disturbing, other than having paid through the nose for a 10 minute procedure. What I do find disturbing is that the oil filter did not appear to have been changed in either of 2 vehicles in two oil changes, or that an oil leak on one engine went unreported for a similar length of time, or that a steering pump fluid level became low (with no leaks), after it should have been checked. Is a picture emerging here?

For those of you who think that dropping your vehicle off at a "service" centre and subsequently paying a large bill equals "looking after it", think again.

Reply to
Cuddly Cove