Torn CV boot and loose control arms

My 1999 A-6 Q was put in the shop today for an oil change. (85 k-miles) While it was on the rack, they noticed a freshly, slightly, torn (would have caught it last time) CV boot. Grease was distributed on the inner wheel, so
I think it's been within the last few thousand miles. In other words, I'm betting the CV joint is probably fine.
At any rate, I'm having new struts and control arms installed while it's all apart. The originals are still there.
Question: what is the normal lifespan of these control arms in - let's say - moderate driving conditions? (city and snowy mountain driving)
It was pretty easy to wiggle these things with the bare hand, much less vice grips.