Tow Bar Electrics

We have just purchased a new Audi as above with factory fitted tow bar and

13 pin socket. Unfortunately the car has come with the socket wired for road lights and pin 9 wired as a switched live with no pins in 10,11 &12.

The standard says the pin 10 should be switched for the fridge and pin 11 should be the earth for pin 10.

Below is the response from Audi customer service regarding the problem. My question to them was that I only needed the wire that is currently on pin 9 transferring to pin 10 and an earth putting on pin 11 to enable the fridge to operate whilst towing. I am not bothered about a permanent live to pin 9 as I don't need to charge the battery whilst towing. What I find strange is that the kit to wire socket correctly is quoted at £205 by Audi yet they say it is not approved by Audi UK, so why sell the kit. Also this requirementy of an extra kit is not mentioned in any brochures or in fact by the Salesman.

Has anyone else had problems with Audi with reference to tow bar electrics? 'An upgrade on the towing electrics is available and can be fitted by any approved centre or electrician. However Audi UK does not approve this, and your insurance company may need to be informed as the security of the vehicle may become compromised.

Once the modification has been carried out there also may be concerns regarding the functionality of the electric system on the vehicle'.

Reply to
Peugeot 406

Not same issue, but I did an install of Towsure towbar to A6 Avant '51

Trouble was that the reversing bleepers interfered with the towbar, and have now been disconnected. So if anyone knows an answer to this one it would be appreciated too. The Audi garage said that I should have bought an Audi "disconnectable" one for £ loads.

David

Reply to
David Marchant