Tranmission Fluid...

Does anybody know how to check transmission fluid on a 98 audi a6 quattro? And I need to know how to add some, and what kind of transmission fluid to
buy. The transmission seal is leaking and I dont have the money to fix it right now.
-- Message posted using http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/alt.autos.audi / More information at http://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html
This site may help you http://www.taligentx.com/passat/maintenance/atfchange /
--
later,
dave

Visit your Audi dealers parts counter. You could even phone them and ask.
Huw
The A6 as well as other models use a special tool that is connected to the hood latch that contains the atf. The large plug is removed from the trans pan and a scan tool is connected to the car. The engine is started and the scan tool with proper software will be able to access the TCM. Once in the TCM the atf temperature is monitored. When the temp reaches 38c the plug is removed from the pan and the fluid should start to run out. If not the tool is inserted and fluid is added till it trickles out. Once the temp reaches 42c the plug is reinserted.
Thats it.
I donot recommend chabging the ATF unless the car is used under severe operating conditions. During the 5000/4000 model years we used Dextron and there was a 30,000 mile service change. Now Audi uses a synthetic based fluid.
The only time it is necessary to check the fluid is if someone is having problems with slippage .
On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 11:49:28 +0100, "Huw"