Tranmission fluid leaking from front of tranny

Driving down road car started smoking and pulled over and there was fluid all over. drove it home but now I believe the fluid is low. Does anyone know if this would be front seal and how do you add fluid
and check it? How much of a job is it to replace the front seal?
Thanks, Brian

Forgot to add that this is a 2000 Avant Quattro A6 with right at 160K

With a 12 year old car you are well out of "check" and into "replace" territory.

Judging from your post the transmission fluid was never changed in the 12 years. Since you did not say I assume your A6 is with an automatic.
Time to get the transmission pan gasket (if there is any), filter, if there is one and head to your favorite local mechanic. preferably the guys that works mostly on audis.
P.S. I test drove A6 with a V8 (auto) about 10 month ago that won't even budge in reverse the transmission being seriously neglected: the car must have had never seen new ATF fluid ever since out of the Ingolstadt.