Trans pan

Hi
I have a '98 Audi A6 quatro, that I bought from my dealer and have been maintained by them.
I bought it with 15K miles on it. Right from day one, it would rev a bit
when it shifted gears in automatic. I thought it was normal. Of late the revving has increased a bit.
Last week I had it worked on by my local, non-Audi mechanic. He noticed a dent in the Trans pan. He felt that it could be starving fluid into the transmission and that could be the cause of the extra revving.
I am a novice as far as auto mechanics go. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks...
CTMax wrote:

I guess it's possible if the dent was in the right place and deep enough, but I'd be surprised if that was actually the cause of the shift problem.