Transmission isue with Audi Quattro

I have a 2000 1.8 t Quatttro. 80,000 miles. Bought it used. Recently at stops when I accelerate the engine revs but the car does not move. It rides and shifts fine once I get going but at dead stops it sits, RPM's go up and no movement. I understand Audi is infamous for this kind of issue. What recourse do I have? Is this fixable or does it require a whole new tranny?

Audi has a closed transmission system correct? No way to add fluids?Assuming it is a fluid issue.

Thanks

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Mark

The tranny's can be serviced, but it is not a very simple process so it's best to have a good independent european shop do it for you. Audi claims their transmission fluid is "lifetime", but most of us who have owned and worked on Audis for a while are aware that this is not the case. However, it's not a simple drain-and-then-refill process, so have someone who's worked on Audi's before do it.

As far as your car not moving - is your car a manual transmission? Because the fact that your RPMs move but your car doesn't suggests you need a new clutch. This would be the first thing you should look into.

If you have a Tiptronic (automatic with "clutchless" shifting option), then you may have a problem with your Quattro (all-wheel drive) system. If a component of the drivetrain is malfunctioning, (because all four wheels must move at the same time) your car won't move. With the quattro system, either all four wheels move at the same time, or none of them move at all. You might want to have your drivetrain looked at, including axles, cv boots, cv joints, etc, looked at.

H> I have a 2000 1.8 t Quatttro. 80,000 miles. Bought it used. Recently at

Reply to
aw96166

I believe that there are two things I would want to do. The first thing................. The easiest, and less messy, is scanning for any transmission faults. Your transmission might be in "Limp Mode" due to electrical problems either outside of the transmission or inside of it. Not sure if this "LM" would put the transmission into 3rd making it hard to accelerate from a stop and then shift fine later though.

BUT you said that it shifts fine once the Audi is moving. So maybe a solenoid is malfunctioning inside of the transmission and that should have thrown a code and still allowed for some shifting. ;-) Then it could also be either a fluid problem or a fluid pressure problem. The filter/strainer might be clogged with debris making it difficult for the pump to get a nice supply of fluid, or the fluid level is low or the pump is weak. :-(

So the second thing I would check for is the color of the fluid and the level of it. :-)

Finding a place that can actually & honestly service the Audi/VW transmissions can be difficult so if you post your general location that may help someone recommend a place. The procedure should be similar to the Passats.....

know only ONE good place around Chicago that I would trust. BTW I need to change the ATF in mine too! ;-)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Thank you for the info. I did fail to mention it is AWD Tiptronic transmission.