trunk lock won't release

So, this is a 98.5 A4 2.8Q, the best car I've ever had, and today I could not get the push button trunk lock to release the trunk. I had to put down the seats and get into the truck from the back seat to get
my groceries out. The trunk is not locked, and I also couldn't get the key into the slot. Has anyone had this problem, and what's the solution?
We're having severe cold here (23F on a warm day) with snow and lots of road salt, and I'm sure something got into the lock. It's so cold here, though, that I'm not sure running the car through a car wash would help, but I may do that pretty soon anyway, as the car is definitely due. BTDT and other advice much appreciated.
KLS wrote:

Get some Lock DeIcer from your local FLAPS.
That should defrost it and get it working.