TT roadster FWD 180hp vs SLK230/320

Own a TT. Love the car but wish it had a little more power. Can't do the 225hp Quattro as I need the trunk space. Am considering a Mercedes. Anyone familiar with the TT and the SLK series? How do the M-B stack up?

Good brakes (a salesman demonstrated that quite nicely on an Autobahn near Mannheim, thank you very much!)
Trick roof (although I've seen a harried-looking woman with the damn thing stuck between positions - the car was undrivable)
Handling designed for movement in a straight line, apparently (this bit's hearsay - I looked at it and was put off before getting the TT)
Slushbox
Surprisingly sedate for such an expensive car
Quite pretty (although I personally feel that the TT is in another league, design-wise)
Proper RWD
I've not seem the boot [trunk] on the FWD, so I can't really comment. The Quattro's been fine for me though (certainly good enough for a week routing Europe, and plenty of goodies from the local hypermarket.
A rechip would be the obvious thing - you won't get the full benefits of a 225, but the power should be similar. Acceleration (where grip permits) should be pretty good, as the car is quite a chunk lighter.
--

Hairy One Kenobi

The roof of the SLK will fill up that trunk that's so critical to you....

the
you....
chip it! the difference is amazing...
--
Dave (who has a chipped 180hp TT Coupe Quattro)

"b22r" < snipped-for-privacy@erols.com> wrote in message
Car and Driver clocked a 6.2 second 0-60 run in a 225 TT Quattro cabrio, the most weighty of all the variants. My GTi (which shares it's platform with the TT, as well as it's 180 Hp 1.8T) clocked a 0-60 run of 6.5 seconds, also in C&D, so the TT 180 FronTrac coupe' should be somewhere in that region, making it slightly slower the the 350Z which runs the 0-60 dash in around 5.9-6.0 seconds. But the build quality will be *worlds* better than the Nissan's. The 180 version of the 1.8T is stuck with the K03 turbo, meaning that the chip upgrade can't get you beyond 207Hp. That should drop your 0-60 time to around 6.2 though...