TT tailgate creak

I have a creak that is coming from the tailgate. I initially thought that it was the shelf but i took that out and found it was the tailgate itself however I can't determine exactly where it comes from.
This may be related but just before I noticed it I had to transport a large box. I had the seats down but the tailgate couldn't shut. I rested it on the box and tied it securely with rope. It was only a short journey but there was a bit of bounce in the tailgate but to its obvious size. Could something be out of alignment due to this. Is there any adjustment to make it fit more snugly?
Any help would be appreciated.
So long and thanks for all the fish..