TT window problems

My 2000 TT driver side window does not roll down. I can hear a clicking noise when I try. I removed the door panel, removed and reinstalled the motor, and then it worked fine for about a week, but
then stopped again. Any idea what the problem is? I dread having to replace the controller, since it seems like it would be difficult to install.