Turbo Correctness

I have a A41.8T. This is the first Turbo car I have owned. I read from some other posts that to be kind to the car I should observe some sort of turbo warm-up/cool-down procedure.

I'm not mechanically minded, but do like to drive the car, and I bought it because it's great to drive and goes pretty quick. Can someone elucidate what a "turbo warm-up/cool-down procedure" is, and how to go about doing it?

Many thanks, Matt.

Reply to
Imorital

Basically, don't take it easy on the car when the engine is cold, that means to hard acceleration and no high rpms. I usually accelerate lightly and do go above 3-3.5K rpm until the coolant temp gauge reaches the center and the oil temp gauge starts moving away from the beginning of the scale (150F in my case).

Cool-down means don't shut off the engine immediately after you drove it hard or fast. So again, take it easy for the last few miles of your drive and/or let the engine idle for a couple of minutes after you reach your destination.

Also, having synthetic oil helps - it provides better lubrication when the engine is cold and it is more resistant to coking around the turbo cooling lines where the temperatures can be really high, especially if you didn't give the engine enough time to cool off and shut it off therefore stopping the oil flow/movement.

All the above becomes even more important if you're chipped.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

ooops... how did that "don't" get in there? Scratch that out of course...

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

WTF is wrong with me? Let me type this again...

Basically, take it easy on the car when the engine is cold, that means NO hard acceleration and no high rpms. I usually accelerate lightly and do NOT go above 3-3.5K rpm until the coolant temp gauge reaches the center and the oil temp gauge starts moving away from the beginning of the scale (150F in my case).

Reply to
Pete

Thanks Pete, I got the jist of it first time - but thanks for the clarification.

Cheers Matt.

Reply to
Imorital