turn signal stops flashing

Hi, folks. 1998.5 2.8l A4 here, and just this past week, the turn signal lights, both left and right, stop blinking after anywhere from 2-18 blinks and just stay on. All the bulbs are good. What could be
wrong? Should I replace the fuse?
"KLS" wrote

Most likely the blinker/hazards relay which is unfortunately integrated with the hazard lights button in the center console. These relays like to fail quite often, at least on the B5 A4.
Cheers,
Pete

I'd suspect the stalk turn signal switch assembly first...

Umm.... "signal lights ... stop blinking ... just stay on"
I fail to see how this could be the stalk switch!
I'm with Pete - most likely the relay (it failed, in exactly the same way, on my 2000 A6 after three years).

Thanks for your suggestions, everyone! I'll stop at Holtz on my way in this morning and find out their price on the relay replacement job.
"KLS" wrote

Let us know how it goes. The part itself is about $20. The labor maybe another $20. You could do it yourself, although taking the part out is a bit of a PITA. My dealer actually broke off the retaining clips on the center console trim piece while he was removing it.
Cheers,
Pete

Ha. The price I got was $45 for the part and $55 for the labor. This is from the dealer. The nearest independent shop has been raising its rates to the point that they're almost as expensive as the dealer, and I don't think they're as good. Other shops are 20+ miles away, and we all know how much time and gas is worth, so I'll be letting the dealer do the job. Later. Not right now, gotta pay off some bills first.
"KLS" wrote

Yeah, dealer prices vary. I actually had mine done in Poland and paid close to what you got quoted as well... maybe somewhat less for labor.
Cheers,
Pete
Same thing just happend to me. When I put the turn signals on they just stay on, no blinking, but when I push the emergency flasher they work! I don't here any clicking or anything, I hope it's not the stalk I saw the write up for that, seems like a PITA/waste of time, taking the airbag out, jees! Anyone want to chime in on this? Think it's still the relay?
--
LS1/A4
"LS1/A4" wrote

Yes.
Pete
--____LPHMXLZMXOMRLFKSEJCW____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding
My 01 A4 needed a new emergency Flasher unit when the turn signals quit.
--____LPHMXLZMXOMRLFKSEJCW____ Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="____WHPEPQYSAQXEHDGESJXG____"
--____WHPEPQYSAQXEHDGESJXG____ Content-Type: text/html; charset=windows-1252 Content-Transfer-Encoding
<HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"> <META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=GENERATOR></HEAD> <BODY style="MARGIN: 4px 4px 1px; FONT: 10pt Tahoma">My 01 A4 needed a new emergency Flasher unit when the turn signals quit.</BODY></HTML>
--____WHPEPQYSAQXEHDGESJXG____--
--____LPHMXLZMXOMRLFKSEJCW____--
What is the location of the flasher unit? Easy to change? My '99 A4 stopped working yesterday. Thanks.

You mean the hazards/turn signal relay? It's integrated with the hazard light switch in the center console. You need to remove that narrow trim piece that covers it. It's a bit tricky to remove - you can end up breaking the little clips that hold that trim piece in place. I had dealer remove mine, and they still managed to break them.
Pete