two SCARY sudden acceleration incidents 92 Audi 100S

Page 2 of 2
On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 10:09:02 -0700, Kevin McMurtrie

Bull! The brakes that are locked, not generating *any* heat won't overheat. The transmission/torque converter will, but not the brakes.
If you are having an unintended throttle situation while moving, locking up the brakes resolves that issue.

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 10:09:02 -0700, Kevin McMurtrie

Any situation you can dream up can be overcome by applying the brakes. When this "unintentionall acceleration problem" first surfaced many years ago, it was found to be bogus. One car dealer somewhere on the west coast revved an Audi to 5000 rpms and dropped it into gear. The car didn't move.

Horse puckies. If the disc isn't turning when the pads are applied, there is NO heat. Heat is the product of friction. There is no friction if the wheels are not turning.
The original "problem" many years ago was found to be operator error. There was nothing wrong with any of the cars. The same was true when Cadillac had the "problem".
Dave RS6
Dave,
I have a job. I am an electrical engineer. I never said the brakes wouldnt stop the car, they DID.
I too once held a totally skeptical attitude about sudden accel. I thought it was senile drivers jamming on the gas harder and harder thinking it was the brake pedal. Maybe most of those cases were driver confusion caused, but mine was not.
On the first instance I was driving UPHILL, and the car started to accelerate. I thought it was a runaway cruise control, took my foot off the gas, tapped the brakes, then even shut the cc off, all to no avail. I pulled over, pulled out the cc fuse and thought everything would be OK.
Later that same day in 5 mph traffic, on flat ground, the engine wound up and I had to jam on the brakes to keep from hitting the person in front of me. When I got stopped and put it in neutral it was near redline RPM with BOTH FEET OFF THE PEDALS. I shut it off, restarted it, redline RPM again, right up against the rev limiter. On the next restart it was normal idle.
I am not trying to make one red cent off Audi, just keep someone from getting killed. Believe me, a panicked driver with this problem could easily kill someone.
If you think I dont know cars, I have rebuilt engines myself. I know the difference between a stuck throttle and an accelerating throttle. I am not an Audi expert but I am not an idiot either.
If you think I panicked and jammed on the gas pedal you are wrong. I know how to keep cool. I have twice in my long skydiving career had to deal with main chute failures and I am obviously still alive.
I totally understand your doubts, I once shared them.
Mark
I don't doubt you Mark! I believe you and thank goodness you survived with no loss of life or property. I have seen strange things over the course of years but I always TRY to find a reason why. ;-) I have even seen an oil pump cause a loss of engine compression so that an engine dies.
Now could the ECM have raised the idle to that level? I think it is possible. Does yours have a check light or store codes in the ECM that might blink out the codes or allow you to read with a scanner?
Let us know what you find, or if it happens again!
--
later,
dave