(UK) Cambelt broke 1989 Audi 1.8i

Hi all and thanks for reading this post.
I expect this question has been asked many times though I cannot find it on dejanews.
My cam belt broke today, travelling at approximately 30mph. I took the car
out of gear almost immediately.
What are the chances of the engine being screwed? My mate has suggested putting a new belt on and seeing what happens, he said we maybe lucky and is worth a try for the sake of a tenner.
I know it is would be worth more than the car's worth to have the engine rebuilt, I got a quote for 750pounds VAT inclusive, but i feel that the car would be useable for another 4-5 years.
Thank you for your kind attentions :O)
news.dsl.pipex.com wrote:

Sorry, but it almost certainly has a few bent valves.
news.dsl.pipex.com wrote:

I'd agree with your friend. Put a new belt on, take the plugs out, and trun it over by hand. If it seems ok, try starting it. If it's knackered, get a secondhand engine. Did it make any horrid noises?
thanks for your responses Jim and Chris. did not really hear any horrid noises although a kind of wheeeee noise, similar to the fuel pump noise. i thought it was fuiel pump kanckered at the time. will update the group for yours information if anyone else encounters the same problem, later.

on
car
and is

car

it
suggested
engine
the
Bad luck - these engines do seem to have a habit of breaking cambelts - they are supposed to be changed at 80K but the garage who did one for me recently said they had seem them break as early as 67K. How many miles has your car done?
Before you just stick a new belt on, check with Audi. When you change the belt you should also be changing tensioners etc. There are also a number of midification kits for the cam belts & tensioners on these engines - My wife's 96 A4 had one fitted when we had the belt changed before Xmas. Also there are different kits depending on the age of the thing and Audi's chassis number guide as to which kit you need for your particular car is not 100% reliable. The chassis number on our car is very close to the point at which the kit changed but when they fitted what was supposed to be the right kit it turned out not to be and they had to take the whole thing off and do it again.
good luck
I.