Upgrading '99 A6 Quattro audio system?

I've got a '99 A6 Quattro with a decent Bose audio system. There's two things I would like to do that I cannot currently:

1.) Play CD's with MP3's from the trunk mounted CD changer,

and

2.) Utilize XM or Sirius sat. radio services.

Has anyone upgraded their audio system? Any recommendations? I know I could get a car kit for XM radio, and the same for a portable MP3 cd player, but I don't want to have mounting kits and controls all over my dash. ;)

Thanks for the advice!

Reply to
Mark

Ive upgraded my Sound system a little bit :)

Depends which route you want to go for,

For starters, Bose uses different speakers than standard so if you change the head unit you will have to buy new speakers, 8ohm vs 4ohm

You may find some integration for XM but I dont know alot about it, I doubt there is any retro fit things yet.

Mp3, not unless you buy a phat box or a Ipod and integrate it, you will have to change your head unit if you go for a boot mp3 player.

Cheapest option for you I would say is...

Remove headunit, buy an aftermarket one, run your Bose speakers till you blow em, then buy some decent Kenwood/Alpine ones and a new amp, buy a seperate MP3 changer for the boot, and make sure your headunit is XM compatible.

hth

Ron

Reply to
Ron

Hi Ron,

I just browsed through your pictures .. very cool! I don't think I'm ready to invest in such a killer system though. It looks like a bunch of vendors (BestBuy, Crutchfield, etc.) sell Sirius and MP3 capable CD receivers from Kenwood and Clarion.

Any thoughts on those? I don't know much about car audio - until now I've only been interested in home audio.

I'm somewhat partial to Boston Acoustics speakers since I outfitted a muscle car with them a while back. A long while back. ;) On the electronics side of things in the car I'm not sure what is considered reliable and hifi.

Thanks for the advice!

Reply to
Mark

What do you think of this unit?

Mark

Looks like its got everything you need, I would try it on your bose setup, see how you get on, you will need a wiring loom from autoleads, I think you can get a bose version.

I dont know what it will sound like, but should be fine

Ron

Reply to
Ronny

I've never been a fan of Kenwood, but anything with a decent EQ will allow a level of fine-tuning not avaliable in the factory system. You may find yourself much happier with the sound from those speakers after some adjustment. I'd reccomend Balupunkt for a great price:performance ratio (they sound good too) and either Eclipse or Alpine if you're looking to go higher end. If you're interested, I may be selling an Eclipse deck. It's less than a year old and was introduced as a new model in 2003.

Reply to
Steve Grauman