upgrading turbo to k04 neuspeed unit for Audi a4 1.8t

hi there - ive bought my audi a4 1997 1.8T quattro about 6 months or so ago and have realised that power for the engine is completely lacking recently.
now i have babied this car as best i can. syntectic old, premium gas, new spark plugs, new air filter, engine flush - and ive only had the car for 6 months. ive also recently changed the timing belt - not that it sould matter - but just giving the pro's in the ng some background.
ive got about 116000km on it and was thinking of geting a new turbo. the area i live in is quite hilly, and the car has absolutely no torque from 2000rpm to 3000rpm. now im not sure if the engine is suppd to pick up on this and shift - its an automatic - but the gears are tall and the stupid transmission just will not shift when required - without some coazing in the form of laying off the gas and praying.
my mehanic says this is normal. the car idles fine, drives fine, etc etc - just no power. now im not sure if replacing the transmission fluid will be enuf - tho i realllllly doubt this is the case since even highway driving lacks punch. so i was hoping to buy an upgraded turbo and replace the POS one i have now.
my question is ive seen the following turbo from neuspeed -
http://www.ndimports.com/catalog/engine_perf/default.asp?product_group=turbo_upgrade&action=step_two&title=Turbo%20Upgrades
the 1799$US is too steep for me - but i was wondering if there are other units or manufacturers out there that are more reasonable. the car is an automatic and im not exactly on the racing scene - just was hoping to get to the point where ppl on the road dont feel they gotta keep going around me cus i got the car floored and it aint going anywhere.
if anyone has any ideas let me know. im sure there are others with the b5 platform that have faced similar situations.
thanx again

That bad?
Have you had the MAF checked?

Wolfgang
no i havent. i know im sounding like a noobie - and i am - but how do i go about doing that? or is that something best done by a licensed mechanic?

"Mr DJ" wrote

i go

mechanic?
Bad MAF will throw error codes in the ECU memory. Find someone with a VAG-tool or just go to a VW/Audi mechanic - most should have the tools to read the error codes.
Cheers,
Pete
i can prob get my hands on a laptop - i bought the vag interface off ebay and tested it once with the VAg software. is there a particular module in the software i need to run and a particular code im lookin for? sorry - i only ran it once about 4 months ago and havent bothered since cus i dint have a problem at the time and the laptop wasnt easily available.

ebay
in
sorry - i

dint
Check this page for error code list: http://www.bentleypublishers.com/tech/audi/dtc.table.htm
Any code with "Mass or Volume Airflow" in the description would probably apply.
Not having a VAG-COM tool personally, I can't tell you how to read the error codes, but check www.ross-tech.com site - you might find the info there somewhere. Alternatively search the archives on www.audiworld.com.
Cheers,
Pete
on a sidenote - would a close-to-failed stock diverter valve cause this kind of problem? my mechanic also mentioned a tendancy of the 1997 turbos to have a failed wastegate problem. is this something i need to look at as well? he said that if it is a wastegate problem its cheaper to just replace the turbo when u factor in labor to replace the turbo.

this kind

A failed/failing DV would not allow you to hold boost (and not just in the 2000-3000rpm range) and would also probably make very characteristic honking noises. If you're running stock ECU programming, then most likely you're not producing enough boost to make the stock DV fail, but it's not impossible I suppose.

well?
Yeah, that pretty much would equal a broken turbo, AFAIK. The wastegate was upgraded starting with 1998 model year.
But start with MAF sensor first - it's the most likely culprit here and much less expensive to replace than a turbo. :-)
Good luck!
Pete
Just replace the n75 valve with an n75j, have the MAF checked and then chip it. Then, and only if not satisfied, go for the new turbo.
JP Roberts

ago
recently.
the