Used A4 purchase - seeking advice

I'm tired of getting the baby in and out of the back seat of my two door car. Time for a change to a 4 door car. I'm very interested in buying an A4, but I'm on a budget and can only spend $15K. I live in the Los Angeles area and I would be using the car to drive to and from work which is about 35 miles round trip each day. I know I'm looking at a '97, 98 or possibly '99 and probably a higher mileage car.

Can I get some advice as to which models to look out for or any other tips. Thanks,

Brent

Reply to
Brent

Seeking advice? Also prepare 1500$ a year in repairs. Get a 2.8. Even if it is a '96-97. Have it inspected and lower the offered price according the findings.

Reply to
Saintor

If it has near 60,000 miles or more, make sure the timing belt was replaced. It's about 900 dollars (u.s.) at a dealership for the belt, tensioners, and water pump, seals, labor, etc. If it wasn't replaced, work this into the cost of the car. I just spent a decent amount of money on maintenence for timing belt, tune up, brakes, and a few other things. It's been a great car though. Not the lowest maintenece car you can buy, but nice nonetheless. They do grow on you.

Also, if you test drive it, be sure and listen for creeks, squeaks, and groans from the suspension when you go over dips, driveways, and things like that. Those can be worn out bushings that can be expensive to fix.

Reply to
Victor DiMichina

BTW, I bought my car for the exact same reasons you are buying yours.... L.A. commute, 35 miles,

I had my car inspected at Keyes Audi in Van Nuys when I bought it, they were nice, but I felt they could have been more thorough on the multipoint inspection. Rusnak Audi in Pasadena just changed my timing belt.

Reply to
Victor DiMichina