Used Car buyer question

Page 2 of 2
Darren,
If you can find a Audi S6 from the '95 or 96 model year with low mileage you won't be dissapointed. The engine is bullet proof (230 hp). I've owned one
for a year and a half and had a couple of things to replace, thats expected, which I have been able to do myself - battery, turbo water pump, thermostat.
You'll have regular maintenance to pay out for, but its a fun car to drive.
Tony Ottawa

Tony,
Thanks very much for the input. I took a look at the car you recommended and the prices seem significantly more than the other cars that I'm considering. I really can't justify spending almost $20k+ on a 9 or 10-year old car.
Once again, thanks and any other thoughts would be appreciated.

If repair and maintenance costs are an issue, stay away from the Beemer....they are costly to maintain. The Maxima would be my choice as the cost of ownership would be lower. Also insurance cost will be much lower than an Audi.

My expreience with both the Nissan Maxima and the Beemer would conclude that the cost of ownership for the Beemer is lower, reliability higher, build quality way hogher, comfort and driveability in a different league.
WB
I would agree, Nissan is good but not excellent in reliability. If you like the BMW size, comfort, price, etc, it would be a superior pick. Audi has too many concerns surrounding its reliability. It would have to be a give away in price in order for me to buy one.

Hmmmm....if enrolling in graduate school I assume you are broke so unless you DIY a lot of the work the BMW will be costly running it to the dealer for every little thing.
I have a 99 323is (E36) and it has been very reliable. This is the last year model that they made for the E36 and BMW had worked most all the bugs out by then. In mid 99 they switched to the E46 and reliability went way down as most cars do when they go to an entirely new design.
The 99 323 is right in your price range. You could get one with low miles. Also do not underestimate the 97/98 328's. They are good cars as well with a little more power than the 323. If you are real adventurous you could get an M3 with a little higher miles. I decided against the M3 cause the insurance was a lot higher.
Here is a pic of mine.
http://www.nillah.net/BMW2web.jpg
Good luck.
Greg

The last year of production for the E36 was modelyear 1998 the E46 came out in 1998 model year runs from summer to summer eg. a 98 model is produced from summer 97 to summer 98

Greg;
If you want to "enjoy" driving the 100 mi Rt each day go for the A4 or,BMW. Get them checked by a competent mechanic who knows those cars. If you want relaibility go Japanese- Maxima or Acura.
I have a 98 Q A4, 90k mi. bought new.Love the drive. Starting at 50k, I've put in well over $3.5k in repairs. My wife drives a 98 Acura CL bought new. So far she has spent "0" on repairs.
Good luck,
Bob
Greg Gentry wrote:

IMO - the Max or BMW would be far better options than the overpriced Volkswagen.
You might look into a '99 Maxima, as those models are more reliable than the newer ones.