used wagons

All,

I am in the market for a wagon and like several Audi models. I was hoping from some input from the Audi community.

  1. The 2002 Allroad - Is this a beefed up A6 Avant? I like the styling, but don't know if I can afford to fix the twin turbo when it fails. What's the reliability on these engines?

  1. 2002-03 A4 Avant - Is the v6 turbocharged? does audi make a 4 cylinder that is not turbocharged? I can imagine that a non-turbocharged 4 cylinder might not be all that spectacular to drive.

With regards to price, I need to stay in the low to mid 20s. I've read marginal reliability reports (consumer reports) on older models, particularly the a4s.

What do owners of these two types of cars have to say?

At this point, I'm very leary of buying used w/o the Audi Certification stamp. Thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Reply to
newman

"newman" wrote

Something like that, yeah. Suspension is modified to take on more abuse and to offer more ground clearance among other things.

It's generally a pretty good engine. Assuming you're not going to chip it to increase torque/hp, it shouldn't give you much problems as long as you maintain it properly. That said, buying a used one is a bit of a risk since you don't know if the previous owner took good care of it - see warranty below.

Nope.

Yes, but not sold in North America, if that's where you are.

True.

My '01 A4 1.8Tq is almost 4 years old now. It's got its quirks that you either learn to love or hate, but overall I have not had any major problems with it. Few smaller things like interior rattles/squeaks, turn signal relay (common failure), brake pad separating from the backing plate (another common issue).

This is definitely a good idea. It'll cost you a little more but having that Audi Assured warranty until 100K miles will most likely save you some money down the road.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Then look at the 2.5TDi (still turboed), or the later 4.2 V8 (non-turbo) models.

No, neither the 2.4l or 3.0l are turbocharged.

Yes, there's the option of a 1.6l or 2.0l (ordinary injection or FSi versions) in the 2003 A4 models - non of those are turbocharged.

I think the 1.6 is for 'relaxed' driving. The 2.0l FSi has 150bhp.

Reply to
Peter Bell