V6 2.5tdi 180bhp camshaft wear?

Hi, just put my 2001 A6q 2.5tdi 180 sport in for service at 111k miles and I find it needs new camshafts - they have worn through the case hardening on both exhaust camshafts. The car has been serviced in accordance with instructions by an Audi dealer since new, and not been mistreated, so it looks to me like a manufacturing defect.

Does anyone know anything about this or had any experience of camshafts wearing out on this model?

TIA

Reply to
Twohat

OK, I guess the absence of replies means it isn't a common fault then . . .

Could it be the length of time between oil changes with the variable servicing? It has always been serviced when the computer says it is due.

Worries me a bit what has happened to the metal which has been worn off the cams - could it be lurking in the big end shells wearing them out, or would the filter have caught it adequately?

Anyone any thoughts?

TIA

Reply to
Twohat