VAGSCANNER

Just recently purchased a VAGSCANNER for my Audi 1.8T (1999)as the aig bag light is always "ON" after doing the scanning it detected a DTC(VAG) 18021/P163(MIL Call-up -
Circuit Open or Short to B+). does anyone know what the code means? Thanks in advance...
Just guessing, but, if you have disconnected the battery you will get an air bag light that needs to be reset with a VAG system. Not sure if yours has that feature.
chewb40 wrote:

Not sure what you mean by the battery, are you referring to the battery in the car?
I havent done anything yet. I tried reseting it with the vag system but nothing happens.

Yes. The car battery. If the system looses all power the air bag light will be on until reset.
Sounds like your is a fault with the air bag and will probably require repair. you might ask if it is covered with the longer air bag safety warranty.
chewb40 wrote:

fwiw, the airbag indicator did not light up when I replaced the battery on my '00 B5 S4. Nor did it light up when the service department disconnected the battery when they had to remove a door and didn't want the lock pump to run all day...
/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

I based that on a number of posts that I read on AudiWorld !4 forum but not on my own experience.
When a battery is disconnected to reset the system it is usually suggested to leave it disconnected for a number of minutes. That is probably done to drain off power from capacitors in the system so disconnecting briefly might not cause a reset.
A tool is available from parts stores to use when batteries are being changed which consists of a plug for the lighter that has a nine volt battery to maintain the electrical continuity when the main battery is disconnected.
daytripper wrote:

i will try to disconnect the battery and see if it will go away. it was reset before but it came back.

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/tech/audi/audi.dtc.table.htm
18021 P1613 MIL Call-up Circ Open/Short to B+
problem with the wiring maybe? fuses ok?
--

later,
dave

I think some disconnect the battery AND touch both the neg and positive cables together to remove any residual charges in the system. TRY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!
I believe that water can really mess with connectors, so I would also examine the connectors well.
BTW the ross-tech.com tool, along with the most recent software, might be more specific with their scans/dtcs.
good luck, dave (One out of many daves)

i heard a lot of good thing about that product, but i bought a different...more towards to amateur wannabe a mechanic...LOL