Valve cover gasket done

Well, I got the gasket changed out during the game. Ok I did run over into the post-game show a little--but that's ok cause the Badgers beat Penn State. The old gasket was very brittle. It was in several pieces when I took it out. Wouldn't it be great if this stops the oil leak I've been living with for so long. The engine actually burns almost no oil as far as I can tell. Just every once in a while a little puff comes through at startup. My theory is that when the cam stops in a certain spot, a seep of oil is getting past a valve stem seal.

to TonyJ:

Just don't > over torque the bolts. I don't remember the speck but it is probably > around 10 ft lbs.

Probably shouldn't admit it--I used my finely tuned wrist.

The only time that I changed the crank seal while doing the TB it > developed a leak too. I probably didn't set it at the proper depth.

And I wasn't going to admit this either... But I had to go back in last fall and redo the seal cause I didn't get it seated. I managed to pick the (new) old one out and seated the new new one with just the right size PCV pipe.

I had a cracked expansion tank in one of my T44s. I tried a number of > things to seal it but none worked

Exactly my experience.

Have a good afternoon listening to the Badgers. We don't listen to them > over here in Minneapolis :-)

I'll allow ya that! Tubby's got the Gophers on a tear.

miguelito

Reply to
miguelito

I think that you are right about the valve stem seal but that should only affect it after sitting for a while and would be very low oil consumption. It will not be likely to get any worse of a long time.

Good work > Well, I got the gasket changed out during the game. Ok I did run over

Reply to
TonyJ