Variable Service Indicator

I've got a 1999 A3 TDi, currently on the variable servicing. I plan to service it myself, and reset the indicator as per the supplement in my owners manual. I've read that if you do this with a VW, the car switches back to fixed 10k mile servicing. Does anyone know if the A3 will do this?

Reply to
Chris Bartram

"Chris Bartram" wrote

My understanding was that you still need to reset it at every oil change, whether you're on variable or fixed interval. The switching from variable to fixed and modifying the value of fixed is done through a VAG tool only.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

I plan to

I believe it will. The only way to manage variable servicing is to invest in a VAG-COM. It comes in handy for all manner of things. Also it is worth renting the service manuals, you can be selective, from VW :

Rgds Alec

Reply to
Alec

I've already got some of the manuals from erwin. It's a great idea.

I was hoping to not need VAG-COM. I do want to get a copy, but as I'm servicing the car myself to save some cash, it will have to wait. Since another poster said the switching can only be done with VAG-COM (or presumeably a 1551/1552 tool), I think I'll just reset it and see what happens. The worst that can happen is having to change oil again in 10K miles, which isn't so much of a problem.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Just to confirm it in case anyone else is wondering: I've looked in the factory manuals (from erwin) which I already had, and if the car is set up for variable servicing, and you reset the indicator from the panel, rather than using VAG-COM or a 1551/2, the car reverts to 10K file fixed intervals. Looks like I didn't need to buy SLX Longlife II after all.......

Reply to
Chris Bartram

"Chris Bartram" wrote

So every oil change = a trip to the dealer for the reset, if you want to stick with variable intervals? This sucks.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Soon pays for a vag-com, assuming you already have a laptop. Rgds

Reply to
Alec

I'll be getting vag-com soon. For now I'll suffer 10K intervals.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

ummm forgive me if I'm wrong but why do you have to change your oil every

10k miles? why not just reset it after 10k and then drive it to 20k like a long life service is?

The whole point of variable servicing is for people who do mostly motorway miles, if you are one of these people you don't need a screen to tell you.

:)

Reply to
Ronny

Good point. I'd just like the indicator to be right, I suppose.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Personally I think you are better off changing the oil every 10k anyway :P

Reply to
Ronny

A longlife service is up to 20,000 miles (dependent upon engine type). It may be a lot less dependent upon type of usage. So you would not be aware when the oil needs changing.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Goulding

yeah you would, either 10k miles or once per year if you only do short journeys or 20k miles if you do mostly motorway miles. It should still be serviced every year, which ever comes first.

I was originally replying to this post

Which I would have assumed meant he only wanted to do long life services :)

Reply to
Ronny

"Ronny" wrote

Well, I meant 'variable'. I don't know if 'variable' = 'long life'. Not sure what the range of possible oil change intervals is with 'variable'. Can it be less than 10K miles under certain circumstances? Is time factored in? For example, if someone drives very little, can the variable service indicator come on after 1 year anyway?

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

For my Passat PD the limits are entered as 50,000Kms and 730 days. Those are the maximiums, so you could go two years between services. The actual service interval is computed from time, distance, driving style and oil condition(allegedly). I guess it could result in a service in less than 10,000 miles though if that was the case maybe the oil changes should be even more frequent!

Rgds Alec

Reply to
Alec

I have been given to understand that a variable service interval will never be earlier than a fixed interval service. I believe that a VSI service becomes due after 24 months in any case, so yes, it is possible that it will be at less than 10k miles.

Reply to
Peter Bell

That's correct. The maximum for my A3 is 24 months/30000 miles, whichever comes soonest. Apparently it's very unlikely you'd ever hit the 30K miles- about 20-23 is more realistic.

Reply to
Chris Bartram