vibration

I have a 2001 Audi A6 - 4.2L with a vibration I noticed that my rear tires wear very strange. There is a flat spot every 8 inches or so, all around the tire on both rear tires. I am told I need a rear alignment, which is
fine, but don't understand how that is going to correct my problem. Why is it wearing in the exact same spots. Any ideas??
"myles31" wrote

Your shocks may be worn. I'd have them checked first before doing an alignment. After you replace the shocks, you'll most likely need to do an alignment anyway.
Also check if your rims aren't bent. And finally, get new tires.
Cheers,
Pete