Want to buy an A4: what to look for?

I want to buy an Audi A4 (stationcar) in the Netherlands which was build between 1996 and 1999. As with all cars, there are things that you look for when it's second hand. Can anyone tell me what I should look for? Bad bodywork (if any!?)? Faulty windows?

I'm also not so sure about what kind of engine to choose: regular or diesel? There are some cars (diesel engines) here for sale for about

12.000 euro's (about $ 13.000) that have done a mere 150-200 kilomters and were build in 1997/8. How long will these engines last?

In short: I look for that Audit A4 Avant, but would like to get some input before I visit my local secondhand car dealer.....

Thanks,

vince

Reply to
Vince

Bodywork has 12 yr anti corrosion warranty, windows fine, things to look for are, clunking wishbones on the front, you will notice it when you drive over uneven surface, full service history is important, cam belt's etc

Engines, 1.6 / 1.8 / 1.8Turbo / 2.0 / 2.4 / 2.6 / 2.8 / 1.9TDI / 2.5TDI

The 2.5tdi has 140bhp and is very fast, the V6's are smooth and reliable, the 1.8T's are Tuneable, and popular. stay away from the 1.8 na and the 1.6

Mines on 140k miles, and I would say its good for 250k +

Try and get a 99.5 Audi, as they revamped it abit, look for new headlights, thicker strip along the door, tail badges postioned lower inline with number plate

No Probs

Ron

Reply to
Ronny