What am I in for? (Clutch?)

So, I was driving, and tried to shift from 3rd into 4th. It wouldn't go into gear. (Clutch all the way to the floor) Couldn't get it into *any* gear.
Coasted to the side of the road, still couldn't get into any gear. Turned the car off, and had no problem getting into gear. Started fine with the transmission in gear (clutch to the floor) but again, once I shifted out of gear, I couldn't get back into anything!
I managed to get it to a dealer, but they haven't had a chance to look at it yet. So, how bad is this going to be? Does it sound like the clutch? or some major part of the transmission...
--
-TREE < snipped-for-privacy@chassit.com>
- 2000 A6 2.7t, 6sp
TREE wrote:

clutch) or either the master or slave cylinder (if it's hydraulic)

It's the below mentioned A6 2.7t. I *believe* it has a hydraulic clutch, but I don't have the relevant documentation in front of me.
How would a clutch failure cause the above symptoms? The primary symptom is that the gear shifter can't move *into* position. The clutch seemed to engage completely when I started the car with the shifter in position.
Thanks!!!
--
-TREE < snipped-for-privacy@chassit.com>
- 2000 A6 2.7t, 6sp

I had almost exactly the same problem, I stopped at lights and could not get it out of gear, I had to pull away in 5th which was quite interesting :)
It cost me approx 1000 ($2000) on my A4 2.6 quattro to have the gearbox removed, repair the faulty selector, replace 2 x gear wheels and they put a new clutch in just for safe measure.
The dealer was very unhelpfull and just said sorry but we have got to replace the whole box, and the cost was stupid (over 3k ) that's nearly $6000
So it went to an independant gearbox repair place.
The car had about 130k miles it, but the garage said the clutch was still like new (1st clutch) but they advised me to put a new in as the box was out anyway. the cost was only about 100 for the clutch.

Sounds exactly like the lies the Audi shops likes to tell you. Goddamn I hate those bastards. I got a quote of around $1500 to change the right front bearing and the front shocks to get rid of a strange noise in the front end.
Neither of them needed replacement, but the inner, lower rubber bushing of the front wheel suspension thingy (sorry, don't know the term) was in bad shape and needed replacement. Noise gone.

Good Plan (tm) - so did I.
--
snipped-for-privacy@dod.no

Yup, Audi are fine for servicing if you are a company car driver, or need a job that's easy to do like a fuel pump, but when it comes to major work they will always go for the easiest option for them.
If you snap a cam belt they will quote you 5k for a new engine, when in reality all you need is a new head, less than 600quid and if you are a whizz with the old grinding paste 300 quid for a set of valves and a decent mechanic.
Unless you are really really unlucky and smash a piston :(
I suppose it makes sense as my local Audi dealer charges over 90 a hour.