what oil?

1999.5 A4 1.8qtm Neuspeed .8 bar chipped with 98k kms
I went to the local Audi dealer to get an oil filter and they gave me a large instead of the small dia one I got last time. They said that there is
a sludge problem diagnosed by audi and this is precautionary.
anyway they tried to give me Castrol 5W 40 synthetic oil, but I usually get 5W 30 Mobil 1 synthetic from Canadian tire. I recently noticed that even Canadian Tire has the Castrol 5W 40 on their shelf especially formulated to meet volks, Audi, BMW and Mercs!
so my question is which one?
Thanks all.
Darren Montreal, Canada
Engine oils with Volkswagen Oil Standard VW 502.00 approval available in
North America
Manufacturer Brand Name Viscosity
Castrol Castrol Syntec 5W-40
Chevron Chevron Supreme Synthetic 5W-40
Elf Ele Excellium LDX 5W-40
Kendall Kendall GT-1 Full synthetic Motor Oil 5W-40
Mobil Mobil 1 0W-40
Pennzoil-Quaker state Pennzoil Synthetic European Formula 5W-40
Pennzoil-Quaker state Pennzoil Synthetic European Formula Ultra 5W-30
Pennzoil-Quaker state Quaker State Full Synthetic European Formula 5W-40
Pennzoil-Quaker state Quaker State Full Synthetic European Formula Ultra 5W-30
Seventysix lubricants 76 Pure Synthetic Motor Oil 5W-40
Texaco Havoline Synthetic 5W-40
Total Total Quartz 9000 5W-40
Valvoline Valvoline Synpower 5W-30
Valvoline Valvoline Synpower 5W-40
It has always been Audi's policy to continuously improve its products. Audi, therefore, reserves the right tomake changes in design and specifications, and tomake
additions or improvements to its products without incurring any obligation to install them on products previously manufactured.Text and specifications in this Supplement
are based on information and knowledge available at the time of printing. All rights are reserved.May not be reproduced or translated in whole or in part
without the written consent of Audi of America, Inc. Specifications are subject to change without notice. If you are not sure which oil to use, consult with your
authorized Audi Service Advisor. ? 2004 Audi of America, Inc. Printed in USA, July 2004
? This paper was manufactured from pulp bleached without using chlorine.
241.AUDI.APPROVED.OILS.CHART.FOR1.8LTURBO.94
">
darren wrote:

Your manual should indicate what VW standards should be met by the oil you choose. Make sure you choose an oil that meets those standards. According to their respective websites, Castrol Syntec 5W40 meets VW 502.00 and 505.00, and Mobil 1 5W30 does not have any VW certifications. However, Mobil 1 0W40 meets VW 502.00, 505.00, and 503.01. I don't know offhand what specs are required for your model.
-- Mike Smith

to quote peter from an earlier post
"My feeling is that if you opted to fill your car with the higher spec oil, then it would be perfectly okay to go two years between changes. The appropriate oil spec is VW 503.00 (or VW 503.01 - intended for the RS4 and 1.8T over 180bhp). I'm not sure what brands are most commonly available in the USA but, for instance, Valvoline Synpower XL meets the lower spec and Synpower MXL the higher spec."
Stick 503.01 oil, you cant go wrong then.
Ronny